Transfer vehicle ownership between family members in Ontario

by Lon on September 5, 2012

It’s crazy how un-well documented the process is for transferring car ownership between family members in Ontario. My dad is passing off his car to me, and there was an unbelievable amount of conflicting information online.

Here’s the process transferring ownership tax free between linear family members (with no UVIP, Used Vehicle Information Package)

1. Download the Family Gift of used vehicle sworn statement. Both parties need to be present to and have it signed before a commissioner or a notary public (what a pain, supposedly ‘most’ vehicle offices have a commissioner on site)

2. Sign the green slip on the back of vehicle ownership.

3. If you would like to keep the same plates, sign the Plate declaration form available at MTO counter.

4. Safety standards certificate – May cost $50-80 dollars from an inspection station (if it doesn’t pass you’ll need to perform the repairs before acquiring the SSC – it’s valid for 36 days. Note, that transfer between spouses is the only scenario in which no safety test is required.

5. Proof of valid insurance. You will need to transfer the ownership before your transfer the insurance so make sure your current insurance will be valid after the transfer and up until you create a new policy.

6. You may possibly also need a Drive clean certificate. Not required for current model years. e-Tests are good for one year. Most garages should also be able to do this for $30-40 dollars, they should have your record on computer so you know if you need it or not.

Six steps. Not as simple as I thought. In Toronto you can call 416-235-2999 and follow up if there are any changes to the process.

36 comments

{ 36 comments… read them below or add one }

Jason February 14, 2013 at 8:24 am

Hi there,

I have a question regarding this as I’m in this situation at the moment but we want to transfer the vehicle as-is. Do I still require a Safety Inspection on the vehicle if it is given as a gift? Also it will not be returning onto the road but will be sold immediately after, as is.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jason

DF April 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

This was SUPER helpful, thank you! The online resources on government websites are confusing as hell. Thanks for summarizing what we’re actually supposed to do. 🙂

Cristina May 14, 2013 at 3:46 pm
Kevin May 30, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Good job thanks.

Vee June 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thank you for this as it was super helpful. Why are they making this so difficult? GR

jzug.org June 6, 2013 at 5:42 am

Dumbbell Aspect Lunge and Contact will be the next movement inside your Spartacus workout program.
In addition to a standard straight bar is the “E-Z” bar, which
is very popular for biceps routines, because the bent nature of
the middle portions of the bar allow you to use it with inward palms, eliminating wrist strain.

And the best thing about dumbbells is that they can also sub in for almost every single barbell move, so you won’t need a barbell or plates.

kaiafit.com June 18, 2013 at 6:00 am

The Crock-Pot Duo is perfect for entertaining and having the two slow cookers that adjust independently
of each other. You would never dream of leaving something cooking on
your stove-top all day while you were at work, but
the slow cooker enables just that. There are
no real features to speak of, as the Slow Cooker market is somewhat unsophisticated.

Nick July 4, 2013 at 10:12 am

Just came back from Service Ontario – transferred car from father to son. Some tips I learned:

1. For the Drive Clean certificate – it is needed, unless your car is less than 7 years old AND you are passing a car to an immediate family member, then you are likely exempt. However, to qualify for the Drive Clean exemption, you MUST fill out an exemption form that BOTH immediate family members must sign.

The form can be found here:

Unless the transfer is between spouses, then the form is this:

Here is an example of family transfer from the Drive Clean website (it also lists the definition of “immediate family member”:

If Dad gives his son his seven-year-old car, the car may need to be tested, not because of ownership transfer but because it is seven years old. If the car has already had its Drive Clean test, then it doesn’t need to be tested again now. But, if Dad didn’t get the test done prior to transferring the ownership, then one IS required now because the car is seven years old.

If Dad gives his son that same car next year, the car will not need a test. That’s because:

The car was tested when it was seven years old
A test is not required for family transfers.

2. There was a $10 fee – not sure if it was for the ownership change or plate transfer. Make sure you have already printed out the family member plate transfer form (see the link from Cristina above) and have BOTH parties sign it, especially if only the car recipient is going to Service Ontario.

General G August 12, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Anyone know whether the vehicle transfer is tax excempt if the transfer from father to daughter is also a vehicle registration transfer from Quebec to Ontario?

Kathleen August 17, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Does a safety test need to be done on the vehicle if its being transferred from father to son?

Mable February 24, 2014 at 1:28 am

But whether a place of residence or business all the other
human needs addressed by Permaculture are also present, in support of such shelter.

These are contrasted to perceived needs and
beliefs in invisble cultural constructs, such as the
value of the U. It’s a common form of hot water heating
and general power creation.

Sondages Rémunérés Gratuit Sérieux May 6, 2014 at 1:01 am

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say
that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.

In any case I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

J W Rose May 29, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I am transferring the ownership of my car here in Ontario to my adult son who is living in Montreal.The car is only two years old.
Can anyone tell me the procedure to do this and the associated costs?
I assume no provincial sales tax would need to be paid.
Thank you for your help.
Please reply to email address abode.

pawn shops las vegas strip August 7, 2014 at 5:17 am

I seldom leave a response, however i did a few searching and wound up
here Transfer vehicle ownership between family members in Ontario.
And I do have a few questions for you if you tend not to mind.
Could it be only me or does it appear like some of the
remarks come across like they are coming from brain dead visitors?

😛 And, if you are writing on other online sites, I would like to
follow everything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of every one of your social
sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

JP THornhill August 18, 2014 at 11:48 am

Ontario rule: Service Ontario has advised that when transferring used car between siblings, the plates cannot be transferred (personalized plates can be, but there are administrative rules involved…didn’t listen as not applicable to me). Therefore, either:
-buy new plates in the office, take them out and put them on in the parking lot, then bring in old plates.
-or take plates off at parked location in private area (e.g. your garage), bring them in and return. Buy new plates and then put them on.

Jos P September 9, 2014 at 10:44 pm

To the person who asked the question about gifting a car between Ontario and Quebec (sorry, I couldn’t find your email address) – did you figure out how best to do it? I live in Montreal and my grandmother in Ontario is gifting me a car. I’m trying to figure out how to avoid paying taxes. It appears that you are only exempt in Quebec if the car is already registered here. I’d love any advice! Thanks!

Buy Used Cars Orlando October 9, 2014 at 11:33 pm

I’m gone to tell my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this weblog on regular basis to get updated from most up-to-date news.

Free No Deposit Bonus October 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm

You must also ensure that if your vendor is capable of building
additional interfaces, then it must be cost-effective and must be done in cost-effective manner.

You will enjoy of a private phone to be in contact with your clients.
They provide wide variety of gaming options along
with unique offer like bonuses from 100% to $1000.

annonces légales October 24, 2014 at 9:19 am

They are a very good way to promote business service.
A VPN creates an encrypted connection to a third-party server, and all your Internet traffic is routed
through that server. For more information visit: security gives you the protection from all kinds of worms, viruses and other problems.

showbox for pc November 13, 2014 at 1:18 am

Furthermore, your tablet can be installed with e-book readers so you can just
go to a library for a peaceful and comfortable ambiance.
By using this feature, a faster and more reliable Internet connection can be achieved.
As long as the text messages in need of recovery were not deleted prior to the last synchronization, they should be easily recoverable.

travel games April 8, 2015 at 9:45 pm

What’s up mates, its enormous article regarding educationand entirely defined, kedep iit up all the time.

B August 25, 2015 at 5:41 pm

My son who lives in BC, inherited a Porsche from his father who died in Ontario. He is not interested in putting the car on the road at the current time but would like to “park” it until such time as he is able to finance repairs or sell it as is. It won’t pass the safety test as is. He has been told that he cannot transfer the vehicle to his name until it passes the safety test. This seems to be a “catch 22”. He can’t sell it until it is registered in his name, and he can’t afford to repair it so how can it be transferred to him?

Krityers February 8, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Would I have to pay overdue parking tickets when transferring plates from my mom to me? Or it’s only the plates that are being transferred that are looked into?

gemme illimité clash of clan February 19, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Say I am just shitty at these battle games.

cay canh mini de ban February 23, 2016 at 10:55 pm

There’s definately a lot to find out about this issue.
I like all the points you’ve made.

Ash March 24, 2016 at 11:54 am

Can I transfer my cars ownership to my dad if there is an existing loan on the car?

ครีมหน้าใส April 4, 2016 at 4:50 am

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really
realize what you’re talking about! Bookmarked.
Please also consult with my site =). We can have a hyperlink trade arrangement among us

Kate June 4, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Is it OK to attempt the bland diet plan?so far his appetite is ok and he is acting as his usual self.

mobile strike hack gold generator for android June 23, 2016 at 4:06 am

Youu сan aⅼso build eᴠen mߋrе Resources Structures
ɑѕ: Dark vip Exercise аnd Dark vip Storagee
space.

boom beach cydia hack 20.45.1 August 16, 2016 at 5:42 am

Important informations: So as to make use of this cheats you
must download our software from an individual of the previously mentioned links.

ellie ejercito October 8, 2016 at 9:43 am

Interesting piece . Coincidentally if others are looking for a Sworn statement for family gift word doc form , my friend filled a blank version here https://goo.gl/lFHmcm.

DioneLAnnand December 1, 2016 at 8:52 am

I each and every time employed to study paragraph in news papers
however right now because i am a user of web so from now I am using net for content,
due to web.

Joshua Kearse December 5, 2016 at 9:18 pm

What if my grandfather wants to give me the car as a gift but he is ill and cannot appear before a commissioner of oaths? How can we proceed?

Carol December 11, 2016 at 6:55 am

Same situation as the person above. My mother wants to transfer ownership to me but she is currently ill and getting treatment back home. How do I proceed it?

Mike December 28, 2016 at 7:32 am

Pⅼease let mᥱ know if you’re looking for a writer foг ʏoսr blog.
You have some really grᥱat posts and I think I would be a good asset.
If yοu ever want to take some oof the load off, I’d really like to write sоme material
for your blog іn eҳchange fοr a link bac to mine.
Please send me an email iif interested. Thanks!

Brandon May 24, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Got a question I was gifted a atv father bought it hurt his self can’t ride it I was gifted the atv a year ago did the paperwork paid the 10 dollar fee now I don’t have anywhere to store the atv or ride the atv and now I wanna sell it any rules about selling a gifted atv